Oil temperature TU3 engine

If your hands are dirty, that's the forum you should post in.
Répondre
Thomas 309
Membre GL
Membre GL
Modèle(s) 309 : Graffic

Oil temperature TU3 engine

Message par Thomas 309 » 05 juil. 2014, 19:37

Hello experts,

I have a question for the engine oil temperature at TU3 engine. How high must it be during normal driving? I have installed the GTI clocks in my Graffic. Recommended with original oil temperature sensor from Peugeot, instead of the blind screw next to the oil filter screwed like Malik. I drive very gently, at about 2200 rev / min I switch to the next gear. 5th gear whenever it is possible. My cooling water temperature is normal in about 79 to 80 degrees. The clock for the oil temperature but does not move. Only if traffic jam is or the cooling water temperature often rises to 90 degrees, the oil temperature rises at 80 degrees. If I can drive normal than it falls down again. Normal oil temperature should be around 90 degrees, right? Or is my temperature right so?

Regards, Thomas

My vehicles:

PEUGEOT 309 Graffic 1992
Wartburg 353S 1987
Nissan Leaf e+ 62 kWh 2021
SIMSON Schwalbe KR51/1
SIMSON SR50 B4

alargeau
ADHÉRENT
ADHÉRENT
Modèle(s) 309 : SL - GTI

Re: Oil temperature TU3 engine

Message par alargeau » 06 juil. 2014, 11:51

If you're sure the sensor gives the right information, then I guess your temperature is just fine. On my 1.3, it's very difficult to go as high as 90 degrees or I need to be stuck in traffic for quite a long time for that to happen. Most of the time, the clock reads 70 to 80 degrees as you mentioned. Plus, you know exactly when the radiator is supposed to go on so why don't you compare that temperature with the one you can read on your dashboard? I know the dash is not very precise, but if your radiator goes on at 88 degrees for example and the clock reads 70 degrees at the same time, you'll know for sure there is a problem somewhere.
Rejoignez notre association et bénéficiez d'avantages sur les pièces détachées - Join us and enjoy great deals on any part you want!

Thomas 309
Membre GL
Membre GL
Modèle(s) 309 : Graffic

Message par Thomas 309 » 06 juil. 2014, 16:16

Hello,

the cooling water isn't my problem. I changed the radiator and the pipes in spring 2012 (completely new parts), and my heating cooler ist new since last year. The cooling system works perfect, temperature in normal traffic at 79 - 80 degrees, and the fan begins to work at 90 degrees. That ist correct so and the sensor + clock ist also correct.
My question is the oil temperature of engine oil. This gauge is always at minimum, the needle doesn't rise when normal driving. Only when the cooling water temperature rises up to 90 degrees (city traffic, light jam...) it goes up to 80 degrees, and when traffic then is normal the needle of oil temperature sinks down and shows nothing again.
The question now is: is this correct so or does my gauge not work right?

My vehicles:

PEUGEOT 309 Graffic 1992
Wartburg 353S 1987
Nissan Leaf e+ 62 kWh 2021
SIMSON Schwalbe KR51/1
SIMSON SR50 B4

alargeau
ADHÉRENT
ADHÉRENT
Modèle(s) 309 : SL - GTI

Message par alargeau » 06 juil. 2014, 20:16

Ah, ok, sorry. You could also test it: start the engine, remove the oil temperature sensor and put the cable on negative ground. If the needle doesn't go up, your temperature sensor is dead.
Rejoignez notre association et bénéficiez d'avantages sur les pièces détachées - Join us and enjoy great deals on any part you want!

SRDTURBO
SUPPORT
SUPPORT
Modèle(s) 309 : SRDturbo

Message par SRDTURBO » 08 juil. 2014, 21:40

The strange thing is that the sensor seems to work at higher temp. Basically the sensor is a thermistor and the gauge a ohmmeter, the only trick is that as the thermistor response curve is not linear the ohmmeter is tuned accordingly.
NOUVELLE 309: TOUJOURS PARTANTE!

Répondre