Ignition problem

If you see wires, but still have your hands clean, that's the right forum.
missa91
Membre SX
Membre SX
Modèle(s) 309 : GR

Ignition problem

Message par missa91 » 18 mars 2011, 00:41

In my 1.3 simca i had some big problems with the ignition. First it started cutting out. So you drive and when it hits like 80, 90 kph it turns the engine off. The RPM meter shows 0 and there is no power getting to the spark plugs. In drive you turn the key back and back to running and it starts back up again. So i got a hold of a Bosch ignition coil and replaced mine. problem resolved, i thought.

After about 30000km which i drove in less than 5 months it gave out completely on the freeway. There was no way of starting the engine. So i had some friends go by a junk yard and get me a spare. Once replaced, problem resolved.

Someone told me that there are different manufacturers for the ignition coil, ignition control unit and the distributor. And if you mix parts from different manufacturers you blow one of them.

Now i have a DUCELLIER ignition control unit and a ignition coil of the same firm, but I don't know which is the distributor. How can i identify the part??? Please help, I don't want to be stuck somewhere again.
309 GTI 8V 5-Door Phase 2

alargeau
ADHÉRENT
ADHÉRENT
Modèle(s) 309 : SL - GTI

Re: Ignition problem

Message par alargeau » 18 mars 2011, 07:43

Hi there,
Could you post some pics of your engine so we can identify parts?
And have a look at the picture and tell me which model you've got:

If you've got the first model (the bottle-like one), you should really have a second one as spare. On my 1.3 Simca engine, which is identical to yours, I've got the 3rd model (bottom), the car now has a little less than 200 000 kms and the gnition coil never broke.
Rejoignez notre association et bénéficiez d'avantages sur les pièces détachées - Join us and enjoy great deals on any part you want!

thefunkyboy
RESP. SORTIES
RESP. SORTIES

Message par thefunkyboy » 18 mars 2011, 08:06

Is this part OK on your car?

I have the same engine too and I already needed to change this part, the wires and the coil. I took one on a Peugeot 205 engine.
GB:
http://www.peugeot309.net/En/Forum/sear ... d=newposts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

missa91
Membre SX
Membre SX

Message par missa91 » 18 mars 2011, 09:57

alargeau a écrit :Hi there,
Could you post some pics of your engine so we can identify parts?
And have a look at the picture and tell me which model you've got:

If you've got the first model (the bottle-like one), you should really have a second one as spare. On my 1.3 Simca engine, which is identical to yours, I've got the 3rd model (bottom), the car now has a little less than 200 000 kms and the gnition coil never broke.

Actually I've got the bottle like one, but I also have the third part in the picture. The Bottle like part is the ignition coil, and the third one is the electronic ignition control. But that is not the question I was asking. The distributor is the one I'm interested in. The picture above shows a distributor cap, that is a lot similar to mine, but the connectors are different. Mine don't have the electrical connections outside, but rather inside the plastic.

Anyhow, what I am looking to identify is the part on which the distributor cap is fitted.

Thanks so much for helping!

P.S. Mine G1A has 430+K km

alargeau
ADHÉRENT
ADHÉRENT

Message par alargeau » 18 mars 2011, 11:54

OK, but what do you mean by "I want to identify"? Do you mean you want to know what part you need or do you mean you want to be sure the distributor is the problem.
Rejoignez notre association et bénéficiez d'avantages sur les pièces détachées - Join us and enjoy great deals on any part you want!

missa91
Membre SX
Membre SX

Message par missa91 » 19 mars 2011, 01:01

I want to identify the manufacturer. Because something has been done to the ignition, so the crankshaft sensor is disconnected, but the car still runs. Unfortunately, all work on the ignition was done before the car was bought. And it's now a mess to figure out which system should be on the car. The Bosch or the Deculleier one.

When I learn which system should be on the car I will try to get all parts that go with this system and do a full check/exchange of the entire ignition system. So i have no more problems.

Do you get what I want to do?

thefunkyboy
RESP. SORTIES
RESP. SORTIES

Message par thefunkyboy » 19 mars 2011, 08:04

I am gonna take a picture of my complete ignition system today and post some pics here ;)
GB:
http://www.peugeot309.net/En/Forum/sear ... d=newposts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

alargeau
ADHÉRENT
ADHÉRENT

Message par alargeau » 19 mars 2011, 17:22

A very easy thing to do would be to tell me your VIN so I could have a look at the original ignition system that was on your car. But I'll be able to tell you only on Monday.
G1 engines were fitted with either Ducellier 525 486 A or Bosch 0 237 002 114 distributors. There were also other models but these were the most common.

missa91
Membre SX
Membre SX

Message par missa91 » 20 mars 2011, 02:46

Thanks very much, tomorrow I will take a look at my VIN and will pm you. Again thanks!

missa91
Membre SX
Membre SX

Message par missa91 » 03 avr. 2011, 14:29

I solved all my ignition problems. Went to a Peugeot scrap yard and took an entire ignition system of of one and later fitted everything I needed to my car. I hope all problems are now resolved. Thanks, everyone who helped!!! I hope I can help you too sometime.

thefunkyboy
RESP. SORTIES
RESP. SORTIES

Message par thefunkyboy » 03 avr. 2011, 16:30

I also have a trouble with my ignition system. I need to fix it. I have some doubt on the depression caps. I hope I am wrong because this part is not produced anymore by Bosch :gene:
GB:

missa91
Membre SX
Membre SX

Message par missa91 » 03 avr. 2011, 16:32

You need to go to a scrap yard, amazing what you can find at those... you can buy a whole car for 100eur and be your own manufacturer and supplier :D

thefunkyboy
RESP. SORTIES
RESP. SORTIES

Message par thefunkyboy » 03 avr. 2011, 16:56

In France, it is a pity. Because of the "prime à la casse" which consisted in giving about 1k€ to anyone who buy a new car, a lot of 309 were collected by the yards and then recycled because of the low rentability of the 309 second hand parts :o
GB:

missa91
Membre SX
Membre SX

Message par missa91 » 03 avr. 2011, 17:05

Yeah I know, my friend lives like 10km form Paris and he gave his 309 for a Partner. Who gives a beautiful 309 '92 diesel for a partner. hm.... :0

alargeau
ADHÉRENT
ADHÉRENT

Message par alargeau » 03 avr. 2011, 17:37

missa91 a écrit :Yeah I know, my friend lives like 10km form Paris and he gave his 309 for a Partner. Who gives a beautiful 309 '92 diesel for a partner. hm.... :0
Some do... :pleur4:

Répondre